City Road Medical Centre would like to seek your views and questions about a proposal to change how the practice is run. Dr Josephine Sauvage and Dr Philly O’Riordan have made the difficult decision to resign as contract holders, but they will remain at the practice as salaried GPs. The proposal is to transfer this contract to Islington GP Group Ltd (trading as Islington GP Federation), who will then run the practice. The important thing you need to know as a patient is that the care you receive will stay the same. You will still be able to see the same health care professionals e.g. doctors, nurses, pharmacists etc, we will be open for the same hours and the appointment booking system will continue as it is with a mixture of telephone calls, online consultations and face to face appointment etc. This change will not occur until we seek your views and the request is approved at the North Central London (NCL) Primary Care Commissioning Committee Meeting in October 2021.
How will it affect patients?
We will continue to put the patients at the heart of everything that we do. We will continue to offer the same high standard of care and in time we hope to improve our services further with the support of the Islington GP Federation.
- All the clinicians, reception staff and administrators will remain at the practice to support you
- We will continue to provide the same level of GP access and opening times
- The practice boundary will stay the same
- The practice will continue to deliver care at the practice on the City Road.
- We will continue to provide a range of appointment types provided by our GPs, practice nurses, pharmacists, physician associates and health care assistants
- We will continue to offer the core GP services, as well as specialist services such as coil fittings, joint injections and long-term condition reviews
- We will continue to be a training practice and teach future GPs and clinicians
- In time, with the experience and resources that Islington GP Federation have, we hope to expand our practice offer and develop new services to maximise patient care.
Why are we doing this?
We have been looking at ways that we can ensure the long-term stability of the practice. We believe that with the support of the GP federation we will be able to continue to provide a high level of patient-centred care for our patient population going forward.
What is the Islington GP Federation?
Islington GP Federation is an organisation that is jointly owned by GP practices in Islington, including the City Road practice. It is focused on providing high quality care for patients in Islington. It already runs some services in Islington that you may be familiar with, including the I:HUB extended access GP service, the community Ear Nose and Throat service and the community gynaecology service. It supports Islington’s GP Covid vaccination centres and runs a local practice at Barnsbury Medical Centre, off Caledonian Road. It works closely with the Council, voluntary sector and our local hospitals.
Islington GP Federation is not a money making organisation. Any profits are put back directly into improvements to healthcare in Islington.
You can find more information about this organisation at https://www.islingtongpfederation.org
We hope this information has reassured you that this proposal will be beneficial for City Road Medical Centre’s patients and staff. However, if you have any further questions, then we are happy to help you.
We have a dedicated phone number that patients can call until 30th September 2021:
Phone number 020 3995 9896
Times available: Mondays and Wednesdays 10:00-12:00
Tuesdays and Thursdays 16:00-18:00
Dr Jo Sauvage and Dr Philly O’Riordan
GP Partners, City Road Medical Centre